Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Your Personal Research Journey

The topic I have chosen is on inclusion particularly in the three to five year age range. I find there are far more children in programs with developmental issues varying from low to high functioning. Learning how to tailor a curriculum for all children with varied abilities while also creating an environment to match is what I am hoping to be able to accomplish. Allowing for all children to be able to learn along side their peers is what allows for all in a classroom to thrive.

In my personal experience I have worked with a very wide variety of children many of which are mid to low functioning. It was difficult to be able to create the necessary spaces quickly and I often found we did not have materials available to allow the children to participate with the others. While in Alaska we had two children who were in separate time frames who suffered severe delays. While in my classroom neither child was able to walk the infant walkers were not appropriate, yet we did not have one for a two year old. We were able to locate and order one, however it took a almost a month.

Programs should create a resource room with items to be able to tailor to children since we never know who will need care. This is one of the reasons why I choose this topic. To be there to advocate for the child as well as the families of children who may need beyond the scope of basic care.  

I know of KIT.org as well as NAEYC both organizations are great tools for training and learning about inclusion in the classroom. Zero to Three is another organization I have attended conferences through. Please feel free to share and other organizations or any curriculum or materials your programs have to assist with inclusion. Thank you for your help. 



4 comments:

  1. Stephanie,
    Inclusion is a hot topic in the early childhood field today! I like your idea about a resource room. Very good information keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,

    Great topic!! I was a Sped teacher for three years. However, I worked with Kindergarten, First grade, and Third - Fourth grade. I serviced the children through pull-out services in a resource room. I know first hand how important a resource room can be for children to learn with the necessary curriculum and accessible material. A couple of websites that may be helpful are:

    Early Learning Resources
    https://www2.ed.gov/about/inits/ed/earlylearning/inclusion/resources-for-families.html

    Division for Early Childhood
    www.dec-sped.org/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Stephanie,
    Providing inclusion for children in the classroom is an issue I too have faced as being an early childhood teacher. A lot of our classroom materials or curriculum is not set to meet those with special needs. It would have to cost us significant money to provide materials services. I would be glad to hear about your research upon this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Stephanie,
    I think your topic is a good choice! Inclusion is important for the children to succeed in their education. Would this be just a closet full of items or different rooms for varying abilities of children? In my profession, the children who are in therapeutic schools benefit from sensory rooms. Is this what kind of room you were talking about or just a closet with items to provide the children?

    ReplyDelete