Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Creating Affirming Environments

This exercise is a great reflection for me. I spent two years running my own Family Child Care (FCC) home and it was a great experience. It was extremely different from working in a center and was an experience I wanted to be able to learn the final piece of our circle of programs offered in the military for the children and families. I was able to experience two sides to this I live off base military regulation states that FCC homes must be licensed with the state they are residing as well as the Air Force. Being able to bring two very different agencies together to create an environment for all was a challenge, but a highly rewarding experience.

When you first entered my home, it looked like any other home you entered the front door it was decorated normal just at a very clean state to be a home of three children and a fur baby. I had a dedicated room to my business the room housed a variety of areas for children to be able to play. There was a kitchen set, train table and comfy chairs to relax and enjoy There were ample items to play with, yet plenty of room to be able to spread out and play freely (Derman-Sparks, 2010).

One bulletin board housed all regulations, plans, inspections and information. It was a resource for myself, the parents and my inspectors. The kitchen housed two to three step stools for my little helping hands to learn to do their part in the kitchen. I encouraged them to assist with the cooking as well as cleaning to learn the life skill of being able to provide for them self (Derman-Sparks, 2010). It also allowed for the child to take pride that they had a part of the meal process.

All pieces to the playroom allowed for both interaction as well as solitary play. The furniture was all the same color in the espresso color to not overwhelm the children by numerous colors. The flooring was hardwood so I laid a comfy rug to be able to enjoy inviting the children to lay or sit while they play. As in Adriana’s home the children are the focus of the environment surrounded by their artwork framed on the walls as well as their photos (Laureate Education, 2011). The children enjoy looking at the photos and pieces of art they created and enjoy sharing the displays with others who enter the home.  

In entirety, I kept the home neat, clean and tidy. Everything had a place and I encouraged the children to be able to help with the process and encouraged them to take pride in the area as well (Derman-Sparks, 2010). Through all these pieces I had an environment created for the children and families that was welcoming and accepting to all.

Reference

Derman-Sparks, L., & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, D.C.: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).


Laureate Education, Inc. (2011). Strategies for working with diverse children: Welcome to an anti-bias learning community. Baltimore, MD: Author.

1 comment:

  1. It is so important for children to feel the place they spend a majority of their day feels like their special place and it sounds like you made this happen in your home day care. I like the fact that you taught life skills as well which is teaching responsibility as well.

    ReplyDelete