Saturday, November 5, 2016

Public Health: The Importance of Immunizations

Immunizations are not always something that people today find as necessary, and as a childcare provider I have issues at times with parents not wanting to vaccinate. Each and every person has their own choice to make when it comes to whether they do or do not, but I am one of those parents who is passionate about immunizations. People forget the disease and illness found in countries not as rich in medicine as ours and the issues they deal with not having the proper immunizations. Many of the diseases effecting the people in these other countries we as Americans do not worry about due to the immunizations and vaccines available to us.

Polio is a disease that effects the nervous system and can cause temporary or permeant paralysis. “In 1988, polio was endemic in 125 countries. On September 25, 2015, that number became 2. After marking one year without a wild polio case, Nigeria—which just three years ago accounted for more than half the world’s cases—was officially removed from the list of polio-endemic countries” (Sandler, 2015). The fight to provide the people in these effected areas the proper immunizations in now saving lives as well as providing people with healthier communities.

In my future endeavors I will always encourage vaccination. Working for the United States Air Force I am able to have the support and findings of the positive effects of the immunizations. I will educate parents and those caring for the children in the community about the positive reasons to receive immunizations and always keep children current.

Vaccines prevent an estimated 2.5 million deaths among children younger than age 5 every year. Still, 1 child dies every 20 seconds from a disease that could have been prevented by a vaccine. Why? Because 1 in 5 children in the world do not have access to the life-saving immunizations that keep children healthy” Center for Disease Control.

This is an eye opening statistic and is a large reason I will continue to advocate for proper immunizations to be had by the children in my community.



Michael Sandler. October 1, 2015. Journey to a Polio-Free Africa: Nigeria's Eradication Milestone. https://www.unicefusa.org/stories/journey-polio-free-africa-nigerias-eradication-milestone/27917.

Center for Disease Control. https://www.cdc.gov/globalhealth/immunization/.









6 comments:

  1. I believe immunizations is important, I have seen things happen to children that could have been preventable through immunization. I understand people like to be in control of what happens to their children, but some things need to be considered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shakira, that is heart breaking that you have seen it first hand. I agree, but if you can prevent pain and disease from happening to your childa small fever or whatever side effect coms is temporary.

      Delete
  2. Stephanie, I agree we all need the immunization shots to keep our children healthy in this world....I believe parents should make it an priority to get their children immunizations to protect them from others that may have diseases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Juanicia, I couldn't agree more with you! It is so important to be able to allow kids to thrive and be happy and healthy.

      Delete
  3. Stephanie, I agree that immunizations are important and had all my children immunized. But I do know of one child, that a friend of mine took care of as a nurse, that had a bad reaction and died from being immunized. It is a risk and I believe a risk that we as parents need to take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Deb, yes unfortunately that is terrible side effect that can happen fromimmunizations. I was nervous to immunize my son due to his issues at birth, but we had anamazing pedi
      trician who set a plan.

      Delete