Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Childbirth In Your Life and Around the World

The birth of my son was one that was overly planned, yet had more complications than any of my others. We had begun at a military hospital and were told we were due mid-April. When my husband left we moved home to be closer to family for help with the year he would be gone and my civilian OB was amazing and seemed to see a normal pregnancy. With my husband being on a short tour in South Korea with the US Air Force and the hospital was extremely accommodating to be able to have him “there” with us. I had to have a C-section due to multiple issues from my prior child births. The surgery went as planned with the planned complications that could arise and did on my part, yet the unexpected happened with my son. He was 39 weeks gestational according to scans and measurements taken throughout the pregnancy.
When he was born he cried and was a normal baby except for oxygen issues. After almost thirty hours he began to have many issues. The O2 levels were low, he was refusing to nurse, as well as ceased crying and noise. My dad was the first to alert me that something could be wrong. I alerted a nurse in the middle of the night before we were to discharge that he had begun to vomit. The next morning a man I will never forget finally was able to help my son. Dr. Breckner found the underdeveloped lungs and the pneumonia. He was fighting to breath and live. Dr. Breckner had found out what was wrong we were expedited to the NICU around an hour and a half from my other two children, who were with both sets of grandparents, and my own doctor.
Once arriving the doctors discovered he was in fact closer to around maybe 35-36 weeks and had spontaneous pneumothoraxes these were really rare and very difficult to find in what should have possibly been a term baby. Dr. Breckner saved my son and gave him the chance to fight and live a mostly normal life. We have had other small complications to deal with, but all is managed and he is a normal energetic 18 months old and we are extremely grateful for modern medicine.

I have many friends who are from the Philippines and have heard stories of their medical experiences over there. I choose to dig deeper into what they experience as a normal childbirth experience. After reading on the differences I can see why many of the people I know where grateful to birth in the United States. Many cannot have the proper medical care throughout their pregnancy and at child birth. Many births are not done with medical staff present or postnatal care for mom or immediate care for the baby. Had this been the case for my son we would have lost him this alone makes me feel grateful for the medical team we had and the tools they had.
Many of the women who have care use mid wives as do many women in the U.S. As I read I had no idea how under nourished and low the sanitation many of the people in the Philippines were. The hygiene and nutrition is a main factor to the loss of many women and infants at birth or within the first month after birth. I feel blessed even with the obstacles we had to overcome that we were where we were and had the care throughout the pregnancy and following the birth that we did.

Philippine Statistic Authority. https://psa.gov.ph/content/fetal-deaths-2011.


UNICEF-Philippines. http://www.unicef.org/philippines/mediacentre_10139.html.

11 comments:

  1. Hey Stephanie,
    Your story is truly one for the books! I am shocked that your scans said 39 weeks but was actually 35-36 weeks! Even with all the technology we have, there still can be some difficulties and mistakes. I am glad that we do have Dr’s who are able to come to us with a soloution and was able to save your son’s life. Many other countries would not have these technological advances and it can turn from the happiest moment in your life to the worst in a blink of an eye. I am so happy to hear that you and your son are doing well and wish you and your family all the best!
    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nicole, yes it was a nightmare. We had an unexperienced military doc incharge of our first 18 weeks and she relied fas to much on technology. Even though technology is wonderful there are "old school" ways to double check for accuracy. He is doing well he is a year and a half still has lung issues, but they can be managed. Thank you for the kind words!
      Stephanie

      Delete
  2. Hey Stephanie,
    I agree with Nicole. This could be a movie as well, so thankful we have doctors and technology to make sure our babies are healthy. I also thought it was interesting to find out hygiene and nutrition are the main factors in the loss of women and infants in the first month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kevin,
      I believe the worst part was knowing that I could have prevented the problems had I known that he was not a term baby. I would have waited on the section. I speak regularly with people in NICUs to not give up and keep the faith and trust those who are around supporting you. I enjoyed learning about the issues others have that we don't have to worry about. We are very lucky to have the technology we have here in the US.

      Delete
  3. I do am very glad that my children were born in the US. I've been fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to travel to countries outside the US and the medical care here cannot compare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Heather,
      I would love to travel more to learn more about other cultures, but the opportunity has not arisen for me yet.

      Delete
  4. It is very sad that most countries have improper sanitation or medical needs to provide a healthy birth. Were blessed to have quality doctors and the equipment to help with safe and healthy births.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Juanicia,
      I couldn't agree more it breaks my heart that simple issues for people here in the US could be a matter of life and death in other countires around the world.

      Delete
  5. Stephanie....I am glad that we have mordern medicine and technology that can help mothers and newborns. This are constantly changing, I appreciate the fact that there many doctors that specialize in neonatal care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Angela,
      Yes i feel blessed by the team that we personally had. They had the knowledge and the tools to be able to make everything come back around and help my son.

      Delete
  6. Hi Stephanie
    The wonders of modern medicine never amaze me and that we here in America are truly bless by haaving access is wonderful. The fact the the sanitation levels are so much better here means that we should be thankful. Your post brought tears to my eyes but I understand that I am blessed.
    Martine

    ReplyDelete