Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Connections to Play

Play is our brain's favorite way of learning.”
Diane Ackerman

When children pretend, they’re using their imaginations to move beyond the bounds of reality. A stick can be a magic wand. A sock can be a puppet. A small child can be a superhero.”
Fred Rogers

When I was younger these items were always around:

When I was younger my parents always encouraged us to go outside and enjoy the fresh air. We were supplied with plenty of balls, bats, bikes and other items to occupy our time outside the home. Our parents, aunts and uncles, grandparents along with other adults in the neighborhood would come out and engage in the activities with us. It was more than just playing it was the ability and time to spend engaging with one another.

Today our lives are more technology focused and far more dangers and lack of community in the neighborhoods that impede children from being able to go out and play. Technology is far more affordable and easy to use although it is a good way to “check out” and unwind however time spent on devices should be limited. The world is also a different place than it was when I was growing up. There was more of a sense of community of those around you a safety net for the children and parents, now it seems as though the communities are not as tight knit as they use to be and people tend to keep more to themselves, which could be due to people spending more time at work to make ends meet or a job that has high demand and hours.

My hope for children is to be able to play and explore as much as they can. Get messy, ask questions and build memories as much as you can with those around you. The saying about the neighborhood kids you grew up with is true that you truly never do forget them and the memories made. I constantly encourage my parents to join in play and to explore as much as they can. Experiences are important to children and the play they engage in allows for children to learn through what they are experiencing. Play teaches so many life lessons without it we wouldn’t know how to function when it comes to relationships or engaging in our creative side.  

References


The Strong Museum of Play. Quotes on Play. Retrieved from http://www.museumofplay.org/education/education-and-play-resources/play-quotes

4 comments:

  1. When I was younger me and my little brother always stayed outside playing. We liked to play. We played games, rode our bikes, played ball, or just ran around the yard making up game. I always was in charge since I was the older one. I teach my children how important play is and how it is important for them to play. I encourage play, and even get down on the floor and play with them. They love to play teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I loved playing outside when I was younger!, it was the best thing I loved from my childhood. My children loved playing outside as well, they would be out all day only coming home to eat and get a snack and be gone again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie,

    Your post bring up a lot of valid points. Back in the days it was the norm to go outside and enjoy the fresh air with everyone in your neighborhood. Today it is almost impossible to do that. I sometimes wish that I lived back in the country so that my daughter could have the same play experience that I did as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stephanie!
    Thanks for sharing your play story with us! It seems so many of us share similar stories of playing outside, making friends, and adults who gave us the time to do just that! Love you comment about getting messy! So important to be allowed to "touch stuff". thanks ~karlene

    ReplyDelete